Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Oh Your God!


One thing that Max and I have had trouble with in our secular humanist/atheist existence is language. When I hear something shocking, my first instinct is to say "Oh, my God!" Frustration can produce a "Jesus Christ!" Then there's the simple angry, "God!"

In some respects, this is not a big deal. These are just contemporary ways to express such emotions. It doesn't necessarily indicate someone's religious preference. Still, it is something we thought about and occasionally spoke about.

Then, when watching one of our favorite shows, Futurama, we heard something that was the answer to our prayers (pun intended). Bender, the thieving, unapologetic robot with a heart of, well, silver, uttered this, "Oh, your god!"

Max and I found this perfect. It's clever, funny, and, actually, often people don't even notice what you just said. Give it a try. Not only has it replaced some phrases we'd rather not use, it also makes us smile every time we say it.

3 comments:

Decorina said...

That's very good. I also like Oh My Dog, re: John Candy in Spaceballs.

Naturally.Natalie said...

LMAO! I love Futurama, that is a good one. "CHRIST!" is probably the one I use most often, but it is definitely hard to come up with something and then really make it a habit of saying.
Really like your blog, will definitely come back and check it out again.

http://naturallycuriousnat.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

sometimes I say, "Oh, Christ on a stick, Christ on a pike, etc..."