Monday, June 2, 2008

This Could Be the Start of Something New


So I've been married for almost six months. Even though I've been with my husband for a very long time, and we've lived together (all over the world, actually), marriage does make a difference. On our honeymoon (see picture--I left it a bit dark on purpose), Max (obviously not his real name; kind of a spin-off of a nickname I have for him) and I had this conversation:

Max: Now that we're married, I feel differently about cheating.

Lee: What do you mean? Now it's okay? Or was it okay before and now it's not?

Max: Stop. Not what I meant. It seems more important now not to cheat on you, like it would be worse now somehow.

Lee: Okay then. (big sigh of relief that I did not just marry a cheater)

Just recently, we had a conversation about how (if?) things have changed since we were married. When people ask me "How's married life?" I tend to smile big and say, "Exactly the same, only now we have some money in the bank!" How do you explain to an acquaintance that things are deeper, realer somehow?

By the way, my husband does happen to be an atheist; however, he has a severe moral code of honor for himself. I didn't name my blog this to offend anybody. We were actually married in the Catholic church (very long story) and I'm kind of a vague Catholic myself. Honestly, the name just kind of flowed and felt right.

Well, that was my first blog. Nowhere to go but up, I guess...

No comments: