Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bad, Bad, Blogger

To my possibly non-exisistent readers, I apologize for not having blogged at all in a whole month. To be honest, I was afraid to, because I had huge news that I was terrified to blog....

We bought a house! And not any house, but the house that we have wanted from the beginning. We had actually made two offers on it, but we were ignored, and told there was little hope, so we tried to move on. But, always, it would linger in the back of our minds, forcing comparisons to any other house we saw.

So just about a month ago, Max and I were getting extremely frustrated in our house search. It also didn't help that our good friends and his sister both had offers accepted for houses. We were thrilled for them, but it also made our own situation seem worse. Few new houses were coming on the market, and every one we did see had some major problem (bad neighborhood, ranch, too much of a fixer-upper, and so on). We were both feeling, frankly, miserable about the situation.

So we decided to go to Washington D.C. to take our minds off it. We figured since we weren't spending money on a house, we might as well spend it on a vacation. We had a wonderful time! As we were standing on the Metro platform our last day in D.C., Matt and I both realized we had a message from our realtor. This was not unusual; she would often call to check in. Since we were waiting for the train anyway, I decided to listen. As I did, my jaw literally dropped and Max looked visibly shaken by my reaction, asking what was wrong. After nearly 6 months of ignoring our (low but reasonable) offers, the women who owned the Holly house (as we call it) decided that if we could give a formal offer backing the last verbal offer we gave, she would "seriously consider" it.

So Max and I spent the day in D.C. in a bit of a daze. It was so close, and we didn't know if we could stand it if it fell through at that point. To be honest, there is still the slight possibility it may fall through (we haven't locked in our mortgage yet because the rates are so volatile and the inspection may have an unpleasant surprise), but I felt the need to blog about it. If everything goes smoothly, Max and I will be the proud owners of a nearly 100-year old Victorian house come October!

I should mention that we had not only given sound verbal offers, but I had also written this woman a letter thanking her for letting us look and her home and entreating her to keep us in mind if she did decide to sell for a lower price. She was apparently very touched by our letter, and was only willing to sell at a lower price to us. So I look forward to years of reminding Max that I got us the house (:-)).

So we are now on to frantically saving as much as humanly possible over the next few months. This house needs a lot of work (Max's dream!) and I don't want to struggle once we move in. The house is heated by oil, which is clearly not ideal, but what can you do?

So, I do apologize for my absence, but hope you will be rewarded by interesting house buying/moving/living posts!

What I'm reading now:
The Mercy of Thin Air
On deck: something chick-lit; school starts very soon!

No comments: